Tuesday, September 4, 2018

My Twitter Lockout

During the evening of 9/3/2018, I was locked out of my Twitter account. As one who is banned on Facebook for antiwar and liberty activism I'm thinking 'here we go again!".  The reasons given were "Your account has been locked for security purposes." and "Some of your account features are limited due to suspicious activity" and "Repeat violations of the Twitter Rules may lead to permanent suspension.".

I used the Twitter protest system to open a case, got what appeared to be a canned email affirming the above listed charges and responded with:
I'm 69 years old and advocate for peace and liberty. I'm not vulgar or crude and I've never insulted anybody except warmongers, neocons and homicidal-genocidal maniacs (still, I don't curse or use foul language). I haven't violated any rules. If peace activism gets you blocked on Twitter, then we are in deep trouble. Please fix this and restore my Twitter account. I didn't do anything to deserve this. Thank you and show some love for an old lady who works to save the world from mushroom clouds, devastation and destruction."
This morning, I was pleased when I received this email from Twitter informing me that my account was unlocked, that it was locked by mistake and I was also furnished a link to Twitter rules.
Hello, Your account is now unlocked, and we’re sorry for the inconvenience. Twitter has automated systems that find and remove automated spam accounts and it looks like your account got caught up in one of these spam groups by mistake. This sometimes happens when an account exhibits automated behavior in violation of the Twitter Rules (https://twitter.com/rules). Again, we apologize for the inconvenience. Please do not respond to this email as replies will not be monitored. Thanks, Twitter Support
All is well that ends well!  Still, it's infuriating to be falsely accused of 'spamming'.  I did no such thing and view the entire fiasco as an intimidation tactic and form of censorship.  Still, I do applaud Twitter for its prompt review procedures that resulted a quick restoration of my Twitter account.

As for Fascistbook, that's an entirely different story that I'm documenting and it's a long one.





1 comment:

Popular Posts